Responsible for the direct supervision and development of a dedicated claim service support unit handling all line(s) of business, i.e. auto, property and casualty. Direct and monitor the assigned claim support staff to ensure the timely and accurate processing of all work. Ensure staff adhere to and comply with all Claim File Handling Guidelines and all other job expectations, regulations and requirements. Responsible for having necessary staff, procedures and measurements in place to meet desired service levels.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervise a unit of direct reports, with emphasis on excellent customer service and processing efficiency. Provide accurate, courteous and timely information to all external and internal customers.
- Select, develop, coach, motivate, train and retain a competent staff; ensure the support staff are fully trained in all lines of business.
- Monitor, participate in data input, and analyze the departments workload/diaries and task counts to ensure that productivity levels are met, coding is correct, work-loads are properly balanced & prioritized and that defined quality and service standards are being met.
- Ensure key technical procedures and processes are documented and up-to-date.
- Serve as a resource within the Department through mentoring and knowledge sharing.
- Write and administer timely and comprehensive performance appraisals of assigned staff; ensure staff understand expectations, receive regular feedback and are appropriately rewarded; recommend appropriate salary adjustments to manager based on job performance.
- Suggest improvements to processes within the department, serve on committees as requested, to increase the level and quality of service provided to internal and external customers, i.e. workflow changes, systems enhancements, projects, etc.
- Confer with claims management/staff and other company personnel to plan, evaluate goals/objectives, resolve problems, and exchange information.
- Regularly conduct staff meetings.
- Assume primary or secondary responsibility for strategic functions and projects such as CAT planning/teams, workflow design or systems modifications.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
The Claim Manager provides direct minimal supervision.
Direct responsibility for a service support unit of 5 – 10 employees.
- Bachelor's degree in business, insurance or a related field and five or more years of relevant supervisory and technical experience with demonstrated achievement and progressive responsibilities, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable skills and knowledge are acquired.
- Demonstrated ability to train and mentor assigned employees in all technical aspects of their job responsibilities.
- Knowledge of the technical aspects of property and/or casualty claims and/or claims management processes, systems and regulatory requirements desired.
- Proficient with PC applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel & Outlook); Experience with imaging programs preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development through continuing education related to the job through the attainment of recognized industry designations such as AIC, AEI, INS or CPCU programs, etc.
- General understanding of the insurance industry and company operations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong planning, analytical, time management, administrative and supervisory skills and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment in dealing with professional and personnel situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a wide array of people/personalities (management, peers, co-workers, outside firms and organizations).
- Ability to perform job responsibilities during stressful circumstances
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Typical office environment.
- Predominately sedentary office position with high frequency of keyboarding/computer work required.
- The physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
- The work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations.
- Potentially subject to stressful situations with respect to claim dispute.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter, salary requirements and resume, in strict confidence.